Monday 1 January, 2007

A new type of celebration

It took some time coming, but I finally managed to get my friends to celebrate new year's eve the way I have always dreamed of. (I started preparations really early) I've faced a peculiar predicament - I don't like to go to fancy parties, shell out a couple of grand (specially since I'm a teetotaler) and then end up not enjoying half as much as I could have; but have landed at such events regularly over the past few years... Not wanting to play spoilsport, I've acceded to my friends' plans and have gone along.

Rock Bottom at Juhu, last year, greeted us with throngs of people gushing out of a steamy, sweaty discotheque in the basement as it had gotten way too jam-packed. There was no food worth speaking of, and whatever little there was, was inedible filth. Tulip Star, a few years back, was no different. An overwhelming majority of friends have the same story to share about all such other joints. New Year merry-making is a relatively new phenomenon in India and the organizers are utterly incapable of seeing beyond money, which the increasing number of revelers are increasingly capable of spending in increasing amounts!

This year was lovely - 12 people chez my lovely friend. (Man, is she a gracious host!) Food ordered from outside. A little bit-o-booze to boot. Some pictionary. 3 iPods attached to the amplifier with everyone taking turns to play DJ. Lots of talk, jokes, pranks, jibes and the likes. Off to Natural's at 3 in the night to enjoy ice-creams and shakes. Back home at 6.

Even one of my most pro-fancy-party friends admitted that this was a wonderful experience with such merry and quality time! Kneekey has won! ;-D

Give me a cup of coffee with a friend, any day!

2 comments:

Shailesh said...

Great !!

Start of new year with success--celebrating it the way you always wanted.

riz said...

Awesome!!....

was first for me but one to remember for life......